Client Name: Macquarie Partnerships for Ireland
A&D Wejchert & Partners
John Sisk & Sons Ltd
White Young Green (Dublin)
Status: Under Construction
In June 2010 Tánaiste & Minister for Education and Skills Mary Coughlan T.D announced that the contract for the provision of six new schools had been signed with Macquarie Partnerships for Ireland (MPFI). These six schools will provide places for over 4,700 pupils and make up the second bundle of PPP schools projects to be delivered under the Department’s Public Private Partnership (PPP) Programme. The aim of which is to deliver new schools in rapidly developing areas and to replace existing schools with new accommodation.
The six schools in the second bundle are:
- Kildare Town Community School, Co. Kildare. to provide 1000 pupil places.
- Athboy Community School, Co. Meath. to provide 950 pupil places.
- Bantry Community College, Co. Cork. to provide 700 pupil places.
- Gaelscoil Bheanntraí, Co. Cork. to provide 200 pupil places.
- Abbeyfeale Community College, Co. Limerick. to provide 850 pupil places.
- Wicklow Town Community College, Co. Wicklow. to provide 1000 pupil places.
Laurence Mechanical Services have been contracted to install all mechanical services systems within 2 of the largest schools within Bundle 2, being Athboy Community School, Athboy Co. Meath and Kildare Town Community School, Co.Kildare
Services to be installed include
- Chemical Fume Extract Systems
- Duct Extract & Collection Systems
- Heating Services
- Oil & Gas Boilers
- Ventilation systems
- Water Services & storage
- Rain Water Harvesting Distribution Pipework
- Gas services and Gas Control Systems
- Sports Hall Radiant Panel Heaters
The new schools buildings are due to be completed by November 2011 under the PPP scheme. They will cater for up to 950 pupils in Athboy and 1000 pupils in Kildare and will have state-of-the-art facilities, including general classrooms, woodwork/architectural technology rooms, engineering rooms, home economics rooms with a dedicated dress design room, art rooms, science rooms, multi-media rooms and a fully equipped gym and fitness suite.
The buildings will also have dedicated rooms for music, mathematics, social studies, business, religious education, technical graphics, a library and parents’/guardians’ room. On-site provision will also be made for a hardcourt playing areas and a full-size soccer pitch.
Both new buildings will also incorporate a special needs unit which will provide for students with special needs and allow for access to mainstream classes as required.